Sunday, March 11, 2012

ABC, easy as one two three...

"You went to school to learn, girl, things you never never knew before
Like I before E except after C and why two plus two makes four..." Jackson Five ABC

My youngest son, Gorbachev, age 5, has been enjoying a weekly outing with Mommy since December. It is called, leave school at 130 to get to next city by 2 to enjoy an hour of occupational therapy (OT) at great expense and, not incidentally, cutting short Mommy's entire afternoon of potentially free time.

Gorby, apparently, has some sort of "low tone." This is code for "pale, floppy, Jewish child of Ashkenazi descent"--I know this because in all kinds of different therapeutic settings, one after another of  my children has been diagnosed as such. Perfect eldest son, now 10, for example, didn't walk until he was 20 months old and I was hugely pregnant with Zsa Zsa. This was because he is, you guessed it, low tone. He required years of therapy but is perfectly functional in a) excelling at math, b) learning mishnayos, c) getting a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do, and d) being perfectly content to be on the basketball team and not be starting center or whatever. He mostly does it for the uniform.

I digress. Gorby has been happily tooting along in OT, learning how to hold a pen, swinging from contraptions (this is a hallmark of OT, don't ask me what it does but the kids love it), and form many of his letters. This past week, however, I returned from my outing (I usually don't sit in) early so actually watched half the session. Mrs. OT says to me, in a concerned voice, "So, this week I realized that as we work on forming letters, little Gorby doesn't really seem to, uh, actually know them so he can't actually write them." I stared at her blankly, smiling.

"Mrs. Cake," she said, "Gorby seems to have some confusion in recognizing some of his letters so each week as I ask him to write them, while his form has improved, he doesn't seem to remember what the letters look like. The bottom line is....we need to teach him his letters." My smile remained frozen on my face. "Oh, no," I thought, "Is there something wrong with Gorby? Why doesn't he know his letters? He is 5 and a half after all. Pes knew his letters by age 2!"

"So Mrs. Cake, Gorby is having trouble especially with U and L; G and J; V is hard...Watch."

We all sat around a tiny table, I was barely breathing. Mrs. OT starts writing letters.

"Gorby," she says, "what is this letter?" writing an L. "U," says Gorby.

I smile.

"Look again," she says. After many fraught moments he comes up with right answer. Phew.

She then writes an R, he knows it, she writes a C, he knows it, I smile. Then she writes an L. Again. Gorby says, "U." Mrs. OT looks knowingly at me. I stammer, "Um, do you think he might have a learning disability?"

"Well," she says, "One never knows how the brain works."

Then it dawned on me. Gorby doesn't know his letters because NOBODY EVER TAUGHT THEM TO HIM. Who has time to sit and teach him letters? Doesn't everyone just know them automatically? For example, when the rest of the five of us are sitting around reading, all we notice is that Gorby is systematically annoying us one by one and we sigh, saying, "Oh, won't it be glorious when Gorby learns to read?" And we all nod to one another, rolling our eyes. None of us has made the connection that IN ORDER FOR HIM TO LEARN TO READ ONE OF US BETTER TEACH HIM HIS FRACKING LETTERS. Or even read out loud to him once in a while.

Mrs. OT and I discussed this gap in his education and the very next day, Eva and I ran to Target and bought a letters puzzle and a board with magnetic  letters. The past few days we have been drilling him endlessly. Every time I see an "L" anywhere, like on the side of a bus, I say, "WHAT'S THAT LETTER, YES THAT ONE, RIGHT THERE??!!!" And he'll say, "L." Eva reads to him religiously each night and plays school with him during the day.

It is, I realize, a disgrace that this child has not been taught his letters up to this point. Honestly, I was just lazily waiting until he starts kindergarten in September because I know for sure he'll be learning his letters there. The other kids went to school and learned to read and it was fine. With the education level of the adults living in this house, not to mention all of his relatives, not one of whom possesses less than a Masters degree, it is a wonder that he has managed to end up like a poor child living in the ghetto with non-English speaking parents. He is truly exceptional.

Now we can breathe a big sigh of relief, because two days after buying him those teaching tools, he can recognize all 26 letters of the alphabet like any other Cake child and even can read a few short words. However, I still suspect that he is not quite like all the other children. Tonight at the pizza place, the cutest girl in all of his four-year-old nursery class walked in and spotted him, made a beeline for him and said, "Hi Gorby!" And what did he do? He put his head down, stared intently at the table and pretended not to see her. I really have a lot to teach this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment