Friday, July 15, 2011

I have a blog and So..what do you do?

First I want to say, I have a blog!! Here it is. This is my blog. That's all I have to say about that.

When I first started dating my husband (when he was a medium-shot, not a big-shot yet), I would go to these boring Washington parties and people would ask, "So. . .what do you do?" I would then make up all kinds of stuff about how interesting it is to write about pharmaceuticals/healthcare/financial stuff/etc and how it's so great that my job/career is so "flexible" (since I wasn't ever employed all that much) and then they would yawn and walk away.  This brings me to one of my favorite stories from about two years ago:


So I’m sitting in the back of the van in between my two daughters, my least favorite place to be.  Back of the van, that is, not the daughters.  Though having a 4 and 6 year old chatter your ears off after a long day at an amusement park is loads of fun—the overstimulation of the day has apparently only affected me, a rapidly aging 35 year old woman with issues.  Anyway, the two girls are different as night and day, reflected in their distinctive voices: one very similar to a Chipmunk capital C (Alvin? Theodore? Who cares?), the other like Lauren Bacall after smoking a pack or two of Marlboro Lights every day for years.  So elder daughter, at the approximately 2 hour mark of ceaselessly talking in my ear on the right side says, “When I grow up, I want to be a teacher or something that lets me not work too much so I can be with my kids.”  Sounded reasonable although I think she needs to find a gig that lets her chatter for a living.  Daughter two rasps from the left, “I want to be, um.  Well, I think I want to do nothing. . .like you do Mommy.”

So you see, I just don't go to those parties anymore because even my kids have cottoned on to the fact that I do nothing. Except now I have a blog.  Oh and I have a FASCINATING job with a big healthcare organization where I write about diabetes prevention.  Yawn. I mean, it's really great. Flexible hours, not too much pressure, decent pay, and I still have enough time to do nothing!

2 comments:

  1. This is funny stuff. Of course, you're not alone in doing "nothing." What are all those people sitting around Starbucks all day doing?

    What does your "big-shot" husband do? He sounds impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan... keep 'em comin'! PS: So being a mom and doing nothing is kinda like being on sabbatical and doing nothing? :-)

    ReplyDelete